Trim, no effect

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

jet46

Trim, no effect

Post by jet46 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:31 am

Hello, I am using the Iris Dynamics yoke with P3d V3.1 and the A2A C172. I have installed the trial, am flying from KSEA, and I know the plugin is loading since I do feel bumps on the runway. I also see it show up in the plugins menu and it is started. I have set up to use the FSForce trim, configured the [GENERAL] section with joystic buttons. I have my axis set through P3d and not FSUIPC.

The trim has no effect on the center position of the yoke. I also still only see the default A2A 172 trim gauge and the buttons are working as I can see it spin and the aircraft does respond to trim changes, just not the yoke.
Any advise?

Thank you!

RussDirks
Site Admin

Re: Trim, no effect

Post by RussDirks » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:30 am

If the trim wheel in the virtual cockpit spins when you make trim changes in the air, that means FS Force is not set up properly to receive your trim commands. Do you have more than one controller? You may be affected by the controller order issue with P3D v3. Normally you set up the trim button commands in the [GENERAL] section with a command such as

Code: Select all

JoystickTrimUp=Joystick:0:Button:4
You determine the controller order by looking in the USB Controller dialog in Control Panel. But with P3D v3 that doesn't necesarily work if you have more than one controller. P3D v3 uses an alphabetic sorting method to order the controllers. So the best thing to do is just trial and error : try all possible numbers for the joystick until you get the little trim window popping up when you make trim changes. Note that you don't have to exit and restart P3D for each test. Just exit and restart FS Force.

If that is not the issue please post the [GENERAL] section of FSForce.cfg.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

jet46

Post by jet46 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:16 am

I can try that tomorrow however I did make some progress earlier but still not working right. I was experimenting with keyboard commands just to try and get something working. FS force is getting the key commands and shows trim numbers when pressed but it shows 'fsx' numbers while in air, it showed 'trim' while on the ground. Shouldn't it be the other way around? When adjusting trim in air when the fsx numbers change, there is no center position change on the iris yoke. I definitely have FS force selected as trim type.

Thanks for your help and time.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:15 am

jet46 wrote:FS force is getting the key commands and shows trim numbers when pressed but it shows 'fsx' numbers while in air, it showed 'trim' while on the ground. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Yes, that is backwards. The only way that could be happening with FS Force is if you were holding the Shift key down while making your trim inputs. That is a feature by design. What keypresses did you have programmed for trim? If it involved holding the Shift key down, that would probably confuse FS Force.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

jet46

Post by jet46 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:24 am

Oops, I was using the shift key! And I did figure out through trial and error how to get my Saitek Trim Wheel working too. It was the X Axis as others have mentioned in other threads but just as you said, under P3D V3.1 the joystick # didn't seem to have any bearing to how it is listed in P3d, Windows, or FSUIPC so I just tried each one until I found one that worked.

Thanks for your help!