Can this be done?

Post by cfdog » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:54 pm

Hello
FsForce2--P3D
Flight Yoke Package
Iris Dynamics Yoke

I own the above products
My newbie question is can this be done.
I wish not to use the trims on the yoke but rather use a trim wheel (Desktop Aviators).
Can it be set up that if using the trim wheel pressure can be taken off the yoke?
If I am correct you can then I may be having trouble entering correct info into the Fsforce ini as I have no effect on the yoke pressure using the wheel.
By the way the autopilot following works great Russel,thanks for that.

Thank you

RussDirks
Site Admin

Re: Can this be done?

Post by RussDirks » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 pm

As long as that device shows up under Windows USB Game Controllers (and it looks like it does, according to the documentation), it should work with FS Force.

To simplify setup, break it into two steps: First get it working with P3D (disable FS Force using Profile Manager). Make sure you can see the trim wheel moving in the virtual cockpit when you move the physical trim wheel. Once you've got that, then enable FS Force and configure it to work with the trim wheel. You will need to make entries into the .cfg file as explained in the Getting Started section of the docs (look near the bottom under the Trim Wheel section). You will need to add an entry similar to the following:

Code: Select all

[General]
TrimWheel=Joystick:<num>:<axis>
From what I can tell looking at their documentation, you want to use RzAxis for the <axis> value.

When you have it working properly, you should see the little trim window pop up when you make trim changes. The trim wheel in the virtual cockpit will NOT move when you are in the air. It WILL move when you are on the ground.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

cfdog

Post by cfdog » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:34 am

Hello Russel

I will try this out tonight and thank you for the notes and support on this.

I will let you know the result.
Thank you ,much appreciated
Garry

cfdog

Post by cfdog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:58 am

Hello Russel

I am going to say sorry right now ,i seem to not be getting it.

I am using P3D 2.4

I have forces from FsForce running and can adjust in the profiler.
My problem is the trim.
I have the trim wheel set up in FSUIPC as a Axis elevator trim ( I have also tried it with having no assignment in FSUIPC)
I do not use the controller setup within P3D, I have controllers disabled and use them all within FSUIPC.
With FSForce running or not I have trim working just fine but the trim adjustment do nothing to the yoke pressure.
If I disable FSForce and use Iris Dynamic the trim buttons on the yoke work and they release the pressure on the yoke when trim is adjusted.
I do not use the trim buttons on the Iris yoke for trim but rather use the trim wheeel .
Boy what an essay I am making you read.

Everything seems to work proper Russel except getting the trim to adjust pressure on the yoke.

I have tried what I think was every combination except I may be doing those wrong. Rather than shutting down P3D after each change, I was saving the new config and shutting down FSforce then restarting then reinitializing.

By the way I have never seen the trim gauge show up ,I do have it ticked in the profiler.
The wheel in the cockpit moves on ground or in flight unless I remove it from FSUIPC then I have no trim.

Game contollers I have in this order

Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals
GoFight GF-TQ6 Throttle
GoFlight GF-TPM Throttle/Pitch/mixture
Iris Dynamics Yoke
Fuel Tank Select 2390
GPS
Flaps Control
Trim Wheel
Parking Brake
{ I assume my Trim Wheel would then be 7 }

In Game controller it says Zaxis for Trim Wheel

Folder gauges in Lockheed Martin there is a file named FSForce.cab dated 10/6/2006

I will pick the default Maule Plane

// Maule M7 260C
// Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
Window03=Landing View
Window04=Flaps and Trim
Window05=Fuel
Window06=Mini Panel
Window07=Flight1 Garmin GTN750 U1 - DO NOT MODIFY
Window08=Flight1 GTN Stack - DO NOT MODIFY
Window09=FSForce Trim Gauge

[Window09]
Position=8
Size_mm=61,23
Window_size=0.08
Visible=1
Zorder=100
Ident=15203
Background_color=0,0,0
gauge00=FSForce!TrimGauge,0,0

Hope some of this makes sense to you and thank you for your time.

Garry

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:09 am

cfdog wrote:I do not use the controller setup within P3D, I have controllers disabled and use them all within FSUIPC.
That is most likely your problem. I've never actually tried that configuration, but I'm quite sure it won't work. P3D needs to be configured to recognize your trim wheel. Once that is set up, then bring FS Force into the mix. Don't try to put FSUIPC in the middle.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

cfdog

Post by cfdog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Hello Russel

That did it , the trim gauge now shows up in bottom corner.
It has been years that I have had controllers enabled within in either FSX or P3D.

Now that I have done that I have 2 concerns.

My trim wheel works in reverse when using FSforce, I have checked the reverse setting in P3D also but that does not help

I find not now using FSUIPC the yoke is more sensitive in the roll ,is there a way in the config to calm it down a bit.

Any adjustments in the P3D controller settings seem to be overridden by FSforce.

Getting close Russel, love your software and every day the flight sim is becoming more realistic. I think it is great now with how the wheel movement take pressure off the yoke,thank you.

Thank you

Garry :D

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:35 am

Axis Reversing
I have just uploaded version 2.8.0.5, which allows for axis reversing for the trim wheel. You need to add a line to FSForce.cfg, under the [General] section, as follows:

Code: Select all

[General]
TrimWheelReverseAxis=1
Try it out and let me know if it works.

Sensitivity
I'm assuming you have the Aileron Remapping feature enabled? Yes, it is more sensitive. That was the whole point of adding that feature. :) Based on my experience as a real pilot, I found the default aileron control using a yoke extremely under-sensitive in FSX / P3D. I would encourage you to read through the documentation for that feature so you understand why I implemented it. There's a little YouTube video in there as well that should help to clarify things.

I would suggest giving yourself a bit of time to get used to the new sensitivity. If, however, you still don't like it, you can always disable the feature using Profile Manager.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

cfdog

Post by cfdog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:56 am

Hello
Russel ,I am just amazed how programmers like you can make changes to suit everyones wish and you have for me.
I will make the changes for the trim direction and the sensitivity of the yoke is perfect ,i am so glad you being a real pilot can shed light on how yokes should behave.

You have really made my sim much better.

Russel I will look for the new version and make the changes

EDIT: It works perfect Russel "you the man" thanx for the time you put ino this..

Thank you and much appreciated
Garry