Trim sensitivity

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

LogJammer

Post by LogJammer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 am

Well, no joy on the throttle axis either. I uninstalled FS Force, deleted the cfg and reinstalled, only adding the TrimWheel line, but there is no recognition of moving the wheel when it comes to FS Force. Maybe some G940 users could shed some light since, the axis seems to be geared more towards them anyways.

Thanks.

EDIT: I disassembled the trim wheel and it looks like Saitek is using an optical encoder like you would find on a mouse wheel and converting it in software to an Axis for FSX. I don't know how much this helps but that's all I've got for now. I will enable logging on FS Force to see if there is any output there.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:15 am

- let's just make sure we've covered the basics : have you verified that the trim wheel actually works? If you set it up with FSX only, can you use the trim wheel to adjust the aircraft trim system?

- I would recommend disabling FSUIPC and see if that makes a difference.

- What happens when you try to run it with FS Force? The normal behaviour is that on the ground, trim adjustments cause the trim wheel in the aircraft to move, but in the air they do not. In all cases the trim window should pop up. What behaviour are you seeing? Please be detailed.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

LogJammer

Post by LogJammer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 am

I will disable FSUIPC first. When I use the wheel and it is assigned in FSX, the trim system operates as advertised (as if FS Force is not in the equation). The buttons for trim respond via FS Force appropriately.

When using the wheel with FS Force enabled. The wheel still trims and works via the FSX trim system with no pop-ups. The buttons produce the appropriate pop ups and the force is quite believable.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 am

It seems like we haven't been able to nail down what "channel" that trim wheel is outputing data on. There is a little utility that Microsoft has released to display raw data from a game controller. Hopefully it will help.
  • 2. Click Start, and type "joy.cpl". Press enter. That should open your Game Controllers dialog.
  • 3. Click Advanced, and set your trim wheel to be the preferred controller.
  • 4. Start the utility you downloaded above, move the trim wheel and observe under which category the data appears. (screenshot would be nice).
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

LogJammer

Post by LogJammer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 am

I will run the utility, but when I disabled FSUIPC (by renaming FSUIPC4.dll) the wheel was recognized, and the pop-up only indicated Trim, not FSX when on the ground. In flight, the wheel seem to work as intended.

I restored the FSUIPC4.dll file and made sure to delete the reference from the FSUIPC.ini file for the Trim Wheel and the changes stuck.

I made sure to use the XAxis setting in FSForce.cfg

Both the buttons and the trim wheel can be used. I did not look for trim wheel movement indication on the panel, because I did a quick flight at night and that area is not lit up on the M-18C Mooney Mite.

But so far so good....

LogJammer

Post by LogJammer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:16 am

Utility as requested (notice it is the XAxis):

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:15 am

Great. Looks like you got it working.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator