FBW

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

Fox

FBW

Post by Fox » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:00 pm

Hello everyone,

since Airbus planes are the only ones which are actually flown by a sidestick, it might be a good idea to try to simulate realistic Fly-by-wire. This would make FSForce even more interesting than it already is.
Would be nice if you comment on this one.

Thanks and always happy landings

Matthias

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:57 am

I've never actually flown a fly-by-wire aircraft, or heard comments from someone who has, as to what it feels like. Do you know?
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Fox

Post by Fox » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:00 pm

Hi Russel,

not really, but it should not be too hard to find out. Programming it should not be too difficult for somebody with your knowledge either.
I'll try to check for articles or other stuff, where FBW is explained thoroughly.

Thanks

Matthias

Fox

Post by Fox » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:38 am

randomize

Post by randomize » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:03 am

Ahh well. I doubt it'd make too much sense to try to simulate an FBW. Compare the airbus sidesticks to a conventional computer joystick - there is no difference. They do not have force feedback and do just center automatically. That's all. All you could do would be a self centering stick with a bit of rattling when on the ground. Otherwise you'd kill the FBW, since it does not feature own movements.

Fox

Post by Fox » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:58 am

This not true at all,
there is actually a so called "Feel-Computer" installed on the Airbus, which gives the pilots the possibility to feel the aircrafts behavior. It's not only a self-centering stick.
Problems could arise while programming the actual steering behavior as described in the article above.

Cheers

Matthias

snoupi

Post by snoupi » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:50 am

i confirm

i had chance to make , in past, a part of a flight in an airbus a320 cockpit.

And i ask to captain if the electrical system give him the feeling of feedback force of commands.

his response is yes.. by the computers and many captors
but the feeling is "virtual" (captain's words)

i ' ll try to find some documentation about that

randomize

Post by randomize » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:40 pm

Fox wrote:This not true at all,
It is.
Fox wrote:there is actually a so called "Feel-Computer" installed on the Airbus, which gives the pilots the possibility to feel the aircrafts behavior. It's not only a self-centering stick.
Wrong. No single Airbus of the 318 thru 340 (most likely even 380) family has any kind of force feedback in their side sticks. One thing some pilots keep complaining about BTW (for a good reason IMHO...). Not only that I'd just know, I also tried it out a few weeks ago. It is nothing more than a self-centering stick. It has a little more travel than the average computer stick and a well defined resistance but that's about it.
The A300 though has a conventional control column so I suspect it to feel like any other non-FBW aircraft (not sure if it is or is not FBW equipped).
As for the Triple Seven, while it still has a control column and FBW it might have force actuators. Pretty sure it does. Think that is Boeing's design philosophy.