installation problem

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

janroth

installation problem

Post by janroth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:21 am

When I install fsforce 2 the installation process always ends with a runtime Error ( at 20:355 ) with information: Internal error: Cannot call "SAVESTRINGSTOUTF8FILE" function non Unicode Setup or Uninstall.
The flightsims I am using are FSX Steam Edition and Prepa3Dv4
The OS is Windows 10 64-bits
The PC has an Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, 32 Gb memory
Can you pls advice what I should do.
Thks

RussDirks
Site Admin

Re: installation problem

Post by RussDirks » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:58 am

Hi,

I've been investigating this issue and will hopefully post a solution later today.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:37 am

I have uploaded a new version of FS Force (2.12.0.0074) with a modified installer, which hopefully will fix this problem. Let me know how it goes.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

janroth

Post by janroth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks for your help. I think we are making some progress, but we are not there yet.
The installation program still ends with the error message: The setup program was not able to modify the file C:\users\janro\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\exe.xml due to a parsing error. The specific error was "space is not allowed on this location" on line 31, column 27. FS FORCE has been installed but it may not launch when FSX-SE starts.
The result is now that FS FORCE is working in Prepa3dv4 ( I still do not see the trim gauge on the screen?), but is still causing problems in FSX-SE to the extend that FSX-SE is always crashing. During start up of FSX-SE there is also the error message: Flight Simulator has detected a problem with a third party software program (add on) FS FORCE Version: 2.12.0.0074 Company: Dirks Software File: C:\Program Files (x86)\FSFORCE\FSFORCE.dll
Hope this information helps to solve the remaining problem(s)
Thnks

janroth

Post by janroth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi,
Unfortunately the problem is still not solved. The new installation program ends with the error message:

The setup program was not able to modify the file: C:\users\janro\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\exe.xml due to a parsing error. The specific error was "space is not allowed on this location"on line 31, column 27 FSFORCE has been installed but it may not launch when FSX-SE starts.

The result sofar is that FSFORCE works (!?) on Prepa3d v4. When using the Profile Manager however there are still error messages when I use Options: "Error reading EXE.XML Space not allowed on this location Line 31 Character 27

For FSX-SE the result is that there is an error message during start up: Flight Simulator has detected a problem with a third party software program (add on) FS Force: Version 2.12.0.0074 Company: Dirks Software File File: C:\Program Files(x86)\FSFORCE\FSFORCE.dll
When I say yes to the activation of FS FORCE FSX-SE crashes.
Hope this information helps to identify the problem.
Rgds

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:40 am

Could you please post the file C:\users\janro\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\exe.xml as an attachment so I can have a look at it.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

janroth

Post by janroth » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:12 am

Pls find below the content of the file C:\users\janro\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\EXE.XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>EXE.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>True</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Name>Addon Application</Name>
<Path>C:\MyPath\Addon.exe</Path>
<CommandLine></CommandLine>
<NewConsole>True</NewConsole>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>FLSFS</Name>
<Path>F:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSXFlyLogic\SeasonFileSwitcher.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>FLSFSV2</Name>
<Path>F:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSXFlyLogic\SeasonFileSwitcherV2\SeasonFileSwitcherV2.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>WinchX!</Name>
<Path>F:\FSE dinsdag & zaterdag vluchten\2016-12-17 Vliegdag Jaap\WinchX\Modules\WinchX!\WinchX.exe</Path>
<CommandLine></CommandLine>
<NewConsole>True</NewConsole>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

In addition plse find below the same file of Prepar3Dv4 ( C:\Users\janro\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv4\exe.xml )

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>FSForce</Name>
<Disabled>false</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>false</ManualLoad>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\FSForce 2\FSForce.exe</Path>
<NewConsole>true</NewConsole>
<CommandLine>/FS</CommandLine>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Rgrds

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:40 am

The FS Force installer uses a Windows API package to parse the XML, and it is pretty picky about syntax. The error message tells you exactly where the problem is : line 31, character 27. It is in the line:

Code: Select all

<Path>F:\FSE dinsdag & zaterdag vluchten\2016-12-17 Vliegdag Jaap\WinchX\Modules\WinchX!\WinchX.exe</Path>
It's probably the "&" character, which by itself is not valid XML. Based on my Google search, I would recommend editing it to this:

<Path>F:\FSE dinsdag &amp; zaterdag vluchten\2016-12-17 Vliegdag Jaap\WinchX\Modules\WinchX!\WinchX.exe</Path>
If that doesn't work, try this:

or this:

Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:42 am

As to the error with FSX-SE, you are probably being affected by this bug. Try the solutions presented on that page. If they don't work, please let me know.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

janroth

Post by janroth » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi,
As suggested I have removed the "wrong" character in the exe.xml file and I have also changed the name of the .dll file. The installation works fine. It looks as if the problems are solved! ( both FSX-SE and Prepar3Dv4 )
Thnks very for your help

janroth

Post by janroth » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:13 am

Hi,
When I start Prepar3D I always get the following messages:
Prepar3D is attempting to start "FSFORCE" (version 2.12.0.74, Config Entry number1) Do you want to run this program?
C:\Program Files (x86)\FSFORCE 2\FSFORCE.exe YES or NO
After clicking YES I receive the next message:
Prepar3D is attemping to start "FSFORCE DLL (version 2.12.0.074 Config Entry number 4) Do you want to run this program?
C:\Program Files (x86)\FSForce 2\fsforce_x86.dll YES or NO
After selecting YES Prepar3D starts and FSForce is active and working.

When I start FSX-SE I get the same message for fsforce.exe:
Flight Simulator is attempting to start "FSFORCE" (version 2.12.0.74, Config Entry number 4) Do you want to run this program?
C:\Program Files (x86)\FSFORCE 2\FSFORCE.exe YES or NO
After clicking YES FSX-SE starts and fsforce is active and working.

Any suggestion what I have to do when starting up the simulators (Prepar3D and FSX-SE) without these messages coming up every time?

Thnks

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:44 am

Open up the files EXE.XML and DLL.XML in a text editor, and look for the FS Force section. It will look something like this:

<Launch.Addon>
		<Name>FSForce DLL</Name>
		<Disabled>false</Disabled>
		<ManualLoad>false</ManualLoad>
		<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\FSForce 2\fsforce.dll</Path>
	</Launch.Addon>
Make sure the <ManualLoad> value is false.

You will find these files in %APPDATA%\Microsoft and %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

janroth

Post by janroth » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:07 am

Hi,
I have changed everything as you suggested. The result is that Prepar3D now starts normal, but for FSX-SE the message (Flight Simulator is attempting to start "FS Force"........ is still coming. Any additional suggestion?
Rgrds

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:03 am

Please post the contents of the DLL.XML file and the EXE.XML file for FSX-SE. Note that these files might be in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX or they might be in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

janroth

Post by janroth » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:42 am

Hi,
I finally got everything working as I want. I do not know what happened, but for some strange reason some lines in the exe.dll and fsforce.dll files were changed (by who or what I do not know?). I have re-edited the files as you suggested, I have removed the original but renamed fsforce.dll and now fsforce is working as it should. The only thing which I miss is the trim gaauge on the screen. But this is probably due to the fact that I am using 3 screens. Where can I find the coding for the position of the trim gauge?
Rgds