panel.cfg entry location

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

eagleFMJ

panel.cfg entry location

Post by eagleFMJ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:18 am

Hi,
Long time user of fsforce, never ever had a problem, greatest fs software ever!

I was wondering if its possible to make the 'FSForce Profile Manager' add the trim gauge [WindowXX] at the end of the [Window] sections right above the [Vcockpit01] section, rather then at the end of the panel cfg.

Reason for my request is, there are other gauge addons out there that insert there own [window] sections but they cannot interpret the panel.cfg because the windows are out of order due to 'FSForce Profile Manager' inserting its trim gauge at the very end of the panel.cfg. These other gauge addons when used before fsforce mgr insert there windows in order inside the panel.cfg.

Hope you understand what I mean, is this something that can be added in an update?

Thanks,
eagle

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 am

I understand your inconvenience, but there is no requirement for the window sections to be in any particular order. Here's the relevant page from the SDK : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526956.aspx. (It's for ESP, but the SDK for FSX is identical.) You can tell that FSX has no problem with reading them out of order by starting FSX, start a flight, and select Views / Instrument Panel from the menu. You will see FS Force Trim Gauge listed there, which means FSX was able to read it no problem.

The best thing would be for those gauge developers to redesign there software to use GetPrivateProfileString (that's a windows API call) to read the panel.cfg file, and WritePrivateProfileString to write it. It's obvious that they are just reading and writing it as a straight text file from start to finish, which is definitely not the way to go. You might want to pass this information on to them. It will make their programming tasks much easier.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

eagleFMJ

Post by eagleFMJ » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks alot Russ, I shall pass along the info.

bestfriend

Post by bestfriend » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:06 pm

But you can move the joystick when the AP is engaged! Nothing happens of course, but you can move it. Maybe you mean that you want to be able to move the joystick and have it be effective in changing the pitch of the aircraft, essentially overriding the AP?