Flight Sim Addons $30 or over

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

RussDirks
Site Admin

Flight Sim Addons $30 or over

Post by RussDirks » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:14 am

It seems there are a lot of people who think FS Force is outrageously overpriced, as if no one ever in the history of flight simulation has ever dared to charge that much for an addon. So I decided to put together a list of addons in the same price range (or higher) as FS Force. I'm not saying my program is any better or any worse than any of these. That is a personal value judgement that each person will have to arrive at for themselves.

As a matter of fact, I have purchased only two of the programs listed below. The rest just don't interest me, which is another way of saying, I don't think they're worth the money. Now does that mean I go on all the forums and rant about how over-priced those particular addons are? Of course not!! Do I insult the author of these addons by suggesting in public forums that they're only worth 5 or 10 dollars? No! I just simply don't buy the program! I move on to something else that interests me. I wish other members of the flight sim community would do the same.

This is not an exhaustive list ... just what I could find in half an hour. All prices in USD.

Avsim Store
Terra Mesh Europe - $45
RealScene 2004 DVD - $40
B25 Briefing Time - $40
Megascenery - $40
AETI Proflight 2000 - $40
Simplates 2004 - $35
FS Falcon - $35
Lucky Lindbergh - $35
EuroWings - $35
Boeing B-314 Clipper - $35
Ready For Pushback - $35
Honolulu Scenery - $30

Just Flight Web site
RAF Tornado - $40
727 Professional - $35
Active Sky wxRE - $35
DC9-30 Professional - $35
Greatest Airliners 737-400 - $35
FS Traffic - $35
Piper Meridian - $35
Emma Field - $30
Airport 2000 Volumn 1 - $30
Airport 2000 Volumn 2 - $30
B-17 "Memphis Belle" - $30
Twin Otter - $30
Cessna 152 - $30
421C Golden Eagle - $30
Greatest Airplanes: Archer! - $30
Greatest Airplanes: Cardinal - $30
World Airports - $30
British Airports ? C. England - $30
British Airports ? E. England - $30
British Airports ? S. E. England - $30
British Airports ? S. & S.-W. England - $30
VFR Photographic Scenery: Central & Southern England - $30
VFR Photographic Scenery: East and South-East England - $30
VFR Photographic Scenery: Northern England - $30
VFR Photographic Scenery: Wales & South-West England - $30

store.flightsimmer.com
A320 Professional - $50
Flight Deck Companion - $35
A320 Pilot In Command - $35
Dash 8 Professional - $35
Ultimate Traffic - $30
Iron Knuckles DC-9-30 - $30
FS Panel Studio - $30

FlightSim Central
FS Design Studio Pro - $50
CoPilot 2002 - $40
Aircraft Animator - $35
Custom Panel Designer - $35
Flight Sim Commander 6.0 - $35
Mosquito Squadron - $35
Austrian Airports - $35
Balearic Islands Scenery - $35
Canary Islands Scenery - $35
German Airports I - $35
German Airports II - $35
German Airports II - $35
Spanish Airports - $35
Combat Jet Trainer - $35
Harrier Jump Jet - $35
Bush Pilot Adventures - $30
FS Repaint - $30
Flight Deck III - $30
FS Sea Planes - $30
FS Whirlybirds - $30

Miscellaneous
FS Addon Manager - $30
FS Meteo - $30
PMDG 737 - $40
Last edited by RussDirks on Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

FaxCap

Post by FaxCap » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:34 am

I was looking around the AvSim store just yesterday and noticed the
very same thing! People will pay $35 for an aircraft they don't fly every
day but FS Force will be used EVERY time you fly.

Something tells me many of the people who have bitched the loudest
wouldn't have bought it even at $10.

FaxCap
Flying the "Left Coast" of Canada

John McKinney

Post by John McKinney » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:16 am

While I firmly believe I should never have to pay for anything, FSForce is one of the best things I have purchased anytime. Without it, the money I spent on a force feedback joystick was pretty much wasted, and that makes it a bargain in my book.
P4 3Ghz\Abit IC7 G\1 Gig DDR400
\Radeon 9800 Pro\MSFF2\XP Pro

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:04 pm

John McKinney wrote:While I firmly believe I should never have to pay for anything ...
Hear! Hear! :lol: :lol:
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

FaxCap

Post by FaxCap » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:08 pm

John McKinney wrote:Without it, the money I spent on a force feedback joystick was pretty much wasted, and that makes it a bargain in my book.
EXACTLY my thoughts, John!!!! My FF2 Sidewinder was a huge
disappointment until Force Feedback came along.

FaxCap

shafs

paying to much

Post by shafs » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:54 pm

Hi i had no problem paying that sort of money it seems to be the going rate and i enjoy my simming much more i had a CH yoke and when fs force came out i went back to my old MS sidewinder stick it is great so to all the ones who dont want to Pay its your loss and i read what one person siad about buying all these payware aircraft and they only fly them a few times. its all true i have about six of them.

regards

Snave

Post by Snave » Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:25 pm

The numbers are very simple:

If you've spent the money on force feedback compatible control devices in FS, and then bought FS9, you've wasted your money.

If you've bought and installed just one of the long list of payware products above, you have one additional aircraft (or maybe two) in your folder. Plus some nice liveries which muct be real important to those people who think pilots fly sitting on the leading edge of the wing, looking back at their shiny fuselages. I have a new category for those people: Flight Spotters not Flight Simmers. Anoraks and tripods at the ready guys!

The simple mathematically-uncomplicated fact is that FSForce adds value to ALL the aircraft in the folder, whether payware or freeware. It makes the FF devices not only useable, but also enjoyable and adjustable. It's the difference between waste-of-money and money-well-spent. And as there was no prospect of MS fixing it, no interest in the individual development teams to make their aircraft function properly with force feedback, Russ has served a need in the community unmatched by any other designer, including the sim originator.
And for that, the law of supply and demand says you pay.

I pay, happily. Others may pay unhappily, but they pay. The disingenuous rest are merely a bunch of whingers, their type always crawls out of the woodwork just long enough to moan and I'm sure we all look forward to their freeware alternative just as soon as they can quit bitching long enought to actually achieve something...

Until then, FSForce serves the market at a `per unit` cost that is only matched by utilities such as FSUIPC. And that's praise indeed.

Simon Evans
Simon Evans

shafs

paying to much

Post by shafs » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:45 pm

Hay i have to say this. as far as real simming goes. i fly real aircraft and i try to sit inside the aircraft not on top where i can see better because it would be hard to reach the controls from there!! i know some PC Pilots who fly from the outside each to there own i think. but i you are missing out its better from the inside.

regards Paul

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:43 am

I am on a limited income and $35 US dollars is a lot of money for me. And I could not understand how you could charge so much when I already paid $50 USD for the game and over $45 US dollars for my joystick (wingman 3D)

Esp considering I have spent, it seems like, hours getting the darn force feed bacK to work on my stick.

About an hour ago I downloaded your demo and, after flying around with a plane, that was frustrating to fly before using the software, I couldn't register the software fast enughf.

This program has effectively FIXED my joystick and I gladly pay for it. As was stated before. This program affects EVERY flight (if turned on) EVERY time you fly WHEREVER you fly.

Another thing, I could NEVER trim an airplane correctly. I could never understand the beneft of a trim wheel that made flying, almost, harder and not eaiser.

To sum this up.

I have considered sending my joysitck back to the manufacturer for service before installing your software. (yes I tried many different configurations) But after installing and running your software my joystick works like it should

I couldn't get my credit card out of my wallet fast enughf.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH

BTW I hate to ask this (head hung low in shame) but when a newer version comes out will my registration key still work

FaxCap

Post by FaxCap » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:52 am

Birdy wrote:Esp considering I have spent, it seems like, hours getting the darn force feed bacK to work on my stick.

This program has effectively FIXED my joystick and I gladly pay for it. As was stated before. This program affects EVERY flight (if turned on) EVERY time you fly WHEREVER you fly.
Hi Birdy

I also figured there was something wrong with my stick until I used the
beta version of FS Force! Now I have to ask myself, "Why hasn't
Microsoft phoned Russ and offered to buy FS Force from him!" :D

FaxCap

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:06 am

I find it amazing that Microsoft has so many resourses available to them, in money and personal and Russ goes and does something that SHOULD have been built into the game in the first place. I mean, who cares if the weather is real when you can't control the aircraft correctly. Is FS9 a flight sim or a weather sim LOL.

BTW is it just one person working on this utility or is this a group of programers.

If it is one person it makes my amazment even greater.

FaxCap

Post by FaxCap » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:35 am

As far as I know it's just Russ.

Right, Boss? :)

FaxCap