General Questions

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

btf123

General Questions

Post by btf123 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm just starting out real microlight/ultralight/trike lessons and want to practice in FSX.
I've tried a cheapish joystick (springs back to centre) and the mouse yoke.
Unfortunately in both cases the yoke/wing either stays where it is (mouse) or springs back to the centre (joystick) which is totaly unrealistic on weightshift trike.

So I believe what I need is a force feedback joystick, that the sim will control.

Can you confirm if FS Force will achieve this, i.e. allow me to have hands of trim in a straght line but have the joystick move accurately if I reduce/increase power and/or hit wind etc. As it is now the bar is either staying fixed where I left it or keep moving back to the center with the joystick.

If this is the case, what are my options for suitable USB joysticks to go with it? The MS sidewinder pro gets a lot of mention, but it isn't USB.
I had an old logitech wingman force 3d which I believe did this years ago, and they are around on ebay. Would that work?
Or is there anything new that will work how I want it to.

Thanks

RussDirks
Site Admin

Re: General Questions

Post by RussDirks » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:29 am

I can't speak much for ultralights and such, having never flown one in real life, but I and many of my customers can vouch for the realism it offers when flying fixed wing aircraft. Keep in mind that FS Force does not simulate any wind/turbulence effects.

As to controllers, please visit http://www.fs-force.com/controllers.htm. Your safest bet is with the G940 or the MSFF2 (which is USB btw). The older Logitech and Saitek controllers are not guaranteed to work, although I have heard accounts from some customers saying they had success using those controllers.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

btf123

Post by btf123 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:24 am

Thanks.
I have taken a punt on a sidewinder pro, but not a v2.
Only type available. It isn't USB so will need to get a converter.
Any ideas if anyone has got one of these working?
I will let you know anyway.
Thanks

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:43 am

Sorry I should have said something about that controller ... it is 99% certain to give you problems. You might get very limited functionality, but I don't think you will like it. if you can cancel your order, I would. But that's up to you.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

btf123

Post by btf123 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Thanks again.
OK, I've asked if I can cancel, but will have to see what the seller says now.
Are you able to be more specific about the issues people have faced with the V1?
The trouble is there aren't many v2s around, and virtually no 940.

What about the logitech 3d force I mentioned. What sort of issues are there with that? Driver issues? Issues with your software but the stock fsx stuff is OK?

Sorry, probably sounds like I am clutching at straws but as I say the MS V2 is looking increasingly difficult to get hold of at a sensible price.
I really cant believe nobody is making anything like this any more.
Thanks

btf123

Post by btf123 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:46 am

OK, I have managed to cancel that order, and managed to find a cheap v2. It is sold as untested so fingers crossed it is OK.