How increase force for elevator weight?

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

harri

How increase force for elevator weight?

Post by harri » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi,
I use a modded MS FFB2 with FS9 and FS Force. The elevator forces in FSforce are set to 100%. I wonder how I can increase the elevator/aileron weight forces more than that, as I can feel the force for example in the MS FFB2 force feedback configuration setup test.
I already tried to modify the *.air file (section 320) with Aircraft Airfile Manager 1.0 without success, although I have the feeling that there might be the solution.
Any suggestions from your side would be welcome !

Thanks & Best regards, Harald

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:41 am

If you've got the force at 100%, that's as high as it goes. FS Force doesn't look at the .air file at all.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

harri

Post by harri » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:40 am

Thanks for your prompt feedback although my experience is another:
Changing some parameters in the *.air file DOES affect the force feedback on my FS2004 using FSForce in some way, although I do not know the meaning of the figures in the air file (it´s just try an error for me).

I know that the MS FFB2 has the potential for higher forces as experienced in the MS FFB2 calibration/test menu, and I wonder how to feel those maximum forces in FS2004/FSForce.

Thanks in advance for any hint, Harald

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Are you running the FS-Force profiles editor to change the elevator weight specifically? At around 40-60% it's already quite strong.

You mention elevator/aileron weight. As there is no aileron weight setting, maybe you are in a confusion. If you are trying to change how air speed affects elevator and aileron centering forces you should change the speed/force curves in the specific profile with the FS-Force application.

Also, be sure to disable forces inside Flight Simulator.

harri

Post by harri » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am

You are right, 40-60% are quite strong using a normal MS FFB2. But I modded the joystick by repacing the original grip by a KG13 grip (as used in WW2 warbirds), which is slightly longer and heavier. Because of the longer lever and the higher weight force feedback effects decreased compared to the original device.

Yes, forces inside FS2004 are disabled (when disabling FSForce I feel no forces at all).

Changing the speed/force curves as suggested works fine with good effects, but force feedback at 100% is still to low for the KG13 grip.

When testing the stick by the Microsoft FFB2 setup calibration menu, I can feel, that there is more "force" available, which seems "unused" by FS2004/FSForce.

Thanks for your helpful comment, any further ideas are welcome,
Harald

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:26 am

Now I understand what you meant. And I think you may be right. I also feel that the effects are stronger that the centering force. For example, the "sitting in a pyramid" effect is a lot stronger that the normal centering force, although that effect is made inverting the centering force, so, I don't understand this difference.

I've also modded my MSFFB2 and now forces are often too weak to be satisfactory. As I don't see a way of increasing the maximum force output I have plans to shorten it a bit to enhance forces, something like 5 cm.

In my case I replaced the grip with the CH Combatstick one, plus a quite long stick so the base of the joystick is almost at the floor. I knew that it was too much but I wanted to know how a long stick feels. And it's really great, by the way.

I suspect that the motors of the MSFFB2 are running a bit under their capabilities, and someone knowledgable in electronics could change resistors values or something to increase current... But that's far beyond my skills. I suspect it just because of its reliability.
(edit: "motors" not "engines")