Newbie problems

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

mhl

Newbie problems

Post by mhl » Tue May 18, 2004 11:27 pm

I am evaluating the trial version with a view to buying FSForce but I have run up against a couple of problems which I'd like to resolve before taking the plunge.

My setup is Win 2000, FS2002, Sidewinder 2.

First problem - now that FSForce is installed, FS2002 will only run if I reconfigure the user to have administrative privileges, otherwise it hangs at the splash screen. Obviously I can work around this, but as a matter of policy I would prefer not to have to give users (even myself) admin rights.

Second problem - I cannot trim out!! Using the default C172 and the corresponding default FSForce light GA profile I get a very strong forward pull on the joystick both during taxy and on take-off/climb-out. Adjusting trim-up to max seems to have little effect.

Any suggestions?

Mike

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Wed May 19, 2004 11:01 am

First problem - now that FSForce is installed, FS2002 will only run if I reconfigure the user to have administrative privileges, otherwise it hangs at the splash screen. Obviously I can work around this, but as a matter of policy I would prefer not to have to give users (even myself) admin rights.
I've tested FS Force using WinXP and simple user mode (no admin privileges) and it works fine. Have not been able to test it with Win2000. Make sure the user has full privilges for the FS Force folder and all subfolders.

Using the default C172 and the corresponding default FSForce light GA profile I get a very strong forward pull on the joystick both during taxy and on take-off/climb-out. Adjusting trim-up to max seems to have little effect.
Before trying to get things working in FS, try using the "Virtual Aircraft" in the Profile Manager and see whether the effects work there. That way you have a baseline to compare things with when you start up the game. To access the virtual aircraft, edit any one of the profiles, and then use the joystick throttle to control the aircraft speed, and the on-screen controls to take-off and land. If the FF effects don't work properly there, then you have significant problems with either your joystick or your FS Force installation.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

mhl

Post by mhl » Thu May 20, 2004 3:58 am

Russ

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have double checked the user settings in Win 2000 and can confirm that the only way I can get FS2002 to run with FSForce installed is with full admin privileges. Could there be a conflict between your fsforce.dll and any of the other module dlls (eg. fsnav, fsuipc, goflight and various other add-ons)?

FSForce works fine using Virtual Aircraft. I have tried another flight and this time had rather more success in trimming out. Maybe it's just a matter of practice, although I remain a bit uncomfortable with the constant pull forward on the joystick when on the ground. I don't know to what extent things may be affected by the fact that I also use rudder pedals/toe brakes (and therefore don't use the twist action of the Sidewinder for rudder control, nor the trigger for brakes).

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu May 20, 2004 10:27 am

Maybe it's just a matter of practice, although I remain a bit uncomfortable with the constant pull forward on the joystick when on the ground.
That forward pull is the "elevator weight", and it should be quite light. You can disable that feature in the Profile Manager if you don't like it.
I don't know to what extent things may be affected by the fact that I also use rudder pedals/toe brakes (and therefore don't use the twist action of the Sidewinder for rudder control, nor the trigger for brakes).
The other possiblity for the forward pull is that FS Force thinks you have the brakes on. Since you have rudder pedals, did you uncheck "Trigger is Brake" in Profile Manager. If you didn't, that could well be your problem.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

mhl

Post by mhl » Thu May 20, 2004 2:05 pm

Russ

I had spotted the "trigger is brake" switch and disabled it. As regards elevator weight, if this is realistic then I should try to get used to it rather than disabling it. Is this a variable which can be adjusted up/down, or is it simply on/off?

I will persevere and practise with the remainder of my 10 free flights.

Thanks for your help.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu May 20, 2004 10:21 pm

Yes you can adjust the elevator weight on a per profile basis, in the Profile Manager. Just select the profile, and click on Edit.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

flowdrip

Post by flowdrip » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:10 am

On the advice of Russ, He had me dual boot my computer with Win2000 on 'C' drive and XP on 'D' drive. XP MUST be installed 2nd. Since I did this, I don't have anymore joystick problems. Install your Flight Sims while you have XP open. Try it. You'll love it! :D
Golf is God's way of telling you to screw work and go play!